Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Five T's of Thanksgiving '08

No, no,
this isn't a list of all the things I'm grateful for, just five thoughts I have about the events from this holiday.

1. Terror

Truly, can anything be more sickening than having human beings do such things to one another as they did in Mambai? I don't know any of the victims, but my heart goes out to them and their loved ones all the same. And there's really not much I can say about this incident that will make things better, so I'll just cry a silent tear for such loss of humanity and leave it at that.




2. Twilight

A book. A movie. Perhaps you've heard of it. I can't seem to get away from hearing about it. In the first weekend alone it brought in $70.6 MILLION DOLLARS.
And no, I didn't go see it. It's really not my favorite book, much less genre, though I could learn just a few lessons from Stephenie, no doubt. (Come on, Steph--can I call you Steph?--throw a wannabe author a bone here. Or maybe a hundred, you have a few to spare.)
3. Turkey
Ah, the famous holiday bird. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about them, and I pride myself on being a *good* cook (or at least an experimental-type one). My solution to the over-indulged fowl is to buy a smoked one--they're guaranteed to be moist and have that sweet, smoky flavor. As added bonuses, they only take 1 1/2 hours to cook and it's very hard for my picky-eaters to tell the dark meat from the smoked white meat. So take that, Jennie-O, I'll purchase a smoked turkey every time.
4. Tappity-tap
This is the sound of my fingers flying through my new story, the Lithuanian folktale retelling. I just can't help myself--the story is beautiful and I'm flying through it. Now if only the writing was as beautiful as the story....
5. Thanks
Of course you knew this one was coming. I am oh so thankful for many things, but among them are my beautiful house (and no this is not it), my wonderful family, and my high-elevation Land of Liberty. I could go on, but let me just hug my whole world for a moment--because I truly am blessed beyond measure and there is little that I would change in my life... unless that super agent walked in and offered me a contract, naturally. And that my mom was cancer free. Yeah, those things will come in time....
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment