Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jocks and Geeks Unite!

How great is it that the internet is so unifying? I look on my facebook page and see the nerds—you know—those that actually “got” computers twenty years ago befriending the jocks, the preps, the hippies, and so forth. Everyone seems to be a virtual friend out there and everyone knows how to run a computer (almost everyone, anyway). Now, I’ve always been an outspoken advocate against conformity and stereotypes, so this is just one of two things that I’m grateful to the internet for. Maybe it could give us some semblance of hope for world peace (or some jive like that)? I’d like to think of it as the tune of the future: we can have information at our finger tips, companionship at a mobile ring tone, and accept people no matter what stupid things they put on their “what are you doing right now?” status. Do you think such unity can last? Better yet—spread over into the REAL world?

Maybe I’m just in a funky mood today, but the future’s looking bright in some angles. Maybe not the economy, but there’re other reasons to rejoice. We’ve come a long way from the timid days when “email” was new and daunting terrain. (Cough. Cough. My first year of college.)

Oh, and the other thing I’m grateful for about the internet? The ease of research. Today I just learned the theory of archaic weaving and wool spinning for my new novel without leaving the comfort of my recliner. And gratefully I don’t even need to try it out… because it doesn’t sound fun.




(So thank you, thank you, Al Gore, for the internet…. You did invent the internet, right?)



I LOVE technology!

Can I have my jet pack now, please?

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Internet is definitely both a blessing and a curse, but I think most of the time I'm more grateful for it than anything, and I think in a way it all DOES spill over into real life. I know for me it has actually made my family closer, and it's really changed my life (as corny as it sounds). Can't wait to read your new novel ideas :) (Weaving? Really?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yes. it certainly was Al Gore using his BIG HEAD, or was it just a very poorly written/delivered comment on CNN... here is what he said...
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."
    I bet he sometimes wishes he was not in politics. (As do we, Al)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! How come people that were "so much cooler than me" im High school all of a sudden want to be my friend on Facebook? All I can think is they want the numbers or something. I am more of a quality, not quantity person though so...
    But - for the friends I do have on there and on blogs I think it has made my relationships better! I know what is going on in their lives (at least to a point) which makes me less nervous about picking up the phone and calling! I love the whole thing - even if I get by on the bare minimum that I can figure out!

    ReplyDelete