Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Limited


I’ve been on blog holiday for a few days, readjusting my life and my perspective. The holiday has extended to my writing too. I’ve become a giant slacker and the state of my house can attest to it. It’s been for a good reason… and my positive perspective is returning. My new mantra has been plastered on my desktop, my filing cabinet, and even notebooks:

I am only limited by my own insecurities.

(It’s true, as embarrassing as it is to admit.)

I believe that every person—EVERY person—has unbelievable potential. More than any of us can comprehend. People can do anything they set their minds to and persevere through the toughest of obstacles... if only they can control their own mental state. Sadly, sometimes I let my own thoughts of inadequacy weigh me down. That’s how I’ve been about writing lately. This newest project has been hard for me. It’s a difficult time period and it’s an even more difficult voice… I’m really struggling. But there’s no doubt in my mind that the story is worth it and that it deserves my best effort. I just need to silence the negative voices in my head and move through the rough writing spots and the despair that I’ll never get published in fiction.

Such thoughts don’t help either way. I would not stop writing even if I had a crystal ball and could tell myself about the bleak future with no return investment. I need to write. I have to write.

And as sure as every preteen shirt in Target has Hannah Montana’s face on it, I will give this book my best shot.

So there it is: I AM limited by my own insecurities, but I will not bow to them.


Your question to answer this week: What do you feel limits you in your aspirations?

3 comments:

  1. Your post made me feel better about my day. Just knowing someone I admire for her talent (you Jackee)has trouble sometimes, let's me know I'm not alone. And to answer the question . . . I am afraid people will laugh at me when they find out what I really want to do with my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same - I am limited eniterly by my own mind and insecurities. Also by my body but I am not sure if that is my fault????

    ReplyDelete