Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Money, My Life

I've been reading this book lately, Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez, and it's really changing my life! And I'm only on page 60! Okay, so I have a ways to go to finish it and the farther along I get into it, the more I'll post.
But right now I'd like to share my thoughts on one section.
This section discusses the trade-off between earning a living (or earning a dying, as they suggest), and your life energy (or your allotted time on this earth). And it's got me thinking how many hours I waste doing things that are so ineffectual or unimportant. How much life energy do I zap away from myself on Facebook? Or searching "publishing industry news" online? How much does that cost me, in the long run?
It's more than I care to admit. And there are so many other things that I could be doing with that time; like writing, playing with my kids, or saving the world.
I used to be a great time manager, but since I quit my day job...
The first couple of years I was good at prioritizing and getting the things important to me done. But now... I don't know... I feel like I've become complacent or lazy in the last few months. There are pockets of time I could be doing so much more... LIVING so much more.
Does anyone else feel this way? That they could use a rearranging of their schedule and better meet THEIR needs and priorities?
Here's a trick I've started applying--and I won't say it'll work for you because it's just in trial phase for me. But I'll let you know if it does work:
When I begin a task (or lack of one) I rank it on a scale of one to ten based on it's importance to ME--not to anyone else--just myself. If nothing that I could be doing beats it in rank, I continue with the task.
I also do this with money, now that things are tight in the economy and I sooooo badly want to get out of debt. In the case of money, if the ranking doesn't hit a 9 or a 10, then I put the item back and don't buy it.
But the same principle applies to time too. And I'll let you know if it works.
So my thought of the day: refuse to waste anymore of your life energy on things that aren't of value. And since our values are all different, I won't say what those values should be. Especially since you'll all likely roll your eyes at me that I still think an afternoon nap should get a high ranking.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, I totally need to read this book! It sounds awesome! I think the tip of if it doesn't rank high you don't do it/buy it! Awesome! So, I better get off of the computer now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naps are definitely high on MY priority list...I wish they were high on the kids priority list too. Anyway, sounds like a good book. I might have to read it...or you can just keep reading and summarizing for me (I'm not sure where I would be able to put it on my list...joking!)

    ReplyDelete