Friday, March 6, 2009

Times for genius


I'm really going to try and stay off the blogsphere today and get some important things done, so I'll just leave you with this great quote my friend gave me:


"These are times in which a genius would wish to live. It is not in the still calm of life... that great characters are formed. The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties. Great necessities call out great virtues." ~ Abigail Adams (David McCullough, John Adams, Simon & Schuster, 226.)


I think it says all that I was trying to say last week and summarizes my thoughts since. Carpe diem!

3 comments:

  1. Love this quote...doesn't it just make you hopeful! If memory serves me correctly, A. Adams said that to her son, John Quincy Adams (is that right?? Remember I'm a Canuck so my American history is not great!) because he was complaining about having to go to France with his father (who was selected to be the minister to France) during the very beginnings of our country. What a wise mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. I had to look this up and I don't even have the excuse of being Canadian! And you're ahead of most US lifers because all I could find was that it was in a letter to John Q, no other details.

    Glad I have you to keep me smart! And I have a whole list of McCullough books I WANT to read. Have you read this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that you could go so far as to call me smart...I just have a good memory. Actually, I may not even have a good memory since I just learned about it in my class THIS week. I guess it was just fresh in my mind. So much for the smarts...LOL!

    ReplyDelete