Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Khao Moo Daeng: Thai BBQ Pork

I don't profess to be a great cook or even a good cook. I think of myself as more an experimental cook. And I love food. Good food. Real food.
My favorite cuisines are Thai and Indian and I've some great cookbooks. But usually the recipes are very involved and I'm the only one crazy enough to use them.
Then I found this recipe and HAD to share!
KHAO MOO DAENG (Barbequed Pork with Rice)
2 lb porkloin, cut into strips
SAUCE:
6 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup soy sauce (I used Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce instead)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup ground roasted peanuts
Once cooked, serve with:
4 cups steamed jasmine rice
1 cup cucumber slices
6-8 scallions
1/2 cup cilantro
In a baking dish, pour sauce over pork strips, let it marinate for 30 minutes then bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve pork on a rice bed, pouring residual sauce over the meat and rice. Garnish with scallions, cilantro, cucumbers, or whatever combination you desire.

Easy, eh? I thought so! Even my husband, the food snob, called the recipe "a keeper". The only change I could think of to this perfection was a dash of fresh, grated ginger in the sauce. Otherwise, this is a very sweet and tender dish.

Let me know if you like it!

1 comment: