Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yello? Anyone out there?

Two Weeks!


I haven't posted on this blog for two weeks, though I've started plenty of posts. They just never get finished because the little people in my house call out for me and off I go. I really need to learn to type one-handed well. I have a friend who is awesome at it, maybe she'll teach me.



Here's what I've been up to since last we spoke:



1. NOT sleeping. And man I feel it. The newborn is up a lot during the night and I'm dragging and dizzy by the afternoon. I also get up early and write. I'm slowly getting back into that routine and hopefully the baby is slowly getting into the routine of not eating every couple of hours.



2. Working on a NON-FICTION book. Oh, the research! How I love it. And the exploratory writing! That is, if I can shut my anal internal editor up. I haven't set aside The Beatles' book, I just write on that one when I'm in a mood to.



3. I've heard from two agents considering Courtesy and Patience. It's a no-go, though they were kind and had a lot of good things to say about the work. I have three more full requests out. I'll let you know if anything surfaces.



4. Trying to get back into shape. Most days I fail to get the house cleaned, the laundry done and even my make-up on for that matter. But I'm really trying to do one thing every day--even if it's little--to get my body back and my energy up. More on that another time because I have a very long post in my head about balance I'll share.



5. I've had company on and off since the baby has been born. Here's a picture to prove it.





Most days revolve around the baby, the toddler, and the first grader. I'm a milk cow, a vacuum cleaner, a toy box, a storyteller, and a vending machine. Every day I glory in the three beauties that are mine. They are so healthy, smart, and beautiful that I feel so blessed. But occasionally I need a respite from them and that usually comes in book form. I've read a lot of good books lately. If you haven't already, come and friend me on goodreads! I'm not sure I like the idea of posting reviews out there for the authors of the books to see, but I do like keeping up with what I'm reading, what others are reading, and what's new. So, please, come and find me.



Also, if you read this blog only from my facebook notes (which is most of you these days), you might not know I'm trying to get a feature going called Living Legacies. People (anyone!) can submit stories/life lessons they've learned. I have a list of questions on my blog you can answer. It is my hope to first, collect a history of people and their thoughts on life and second, to inspire not only myself but others with these stories from everyday people. Just like the late Randy Pausch in his Last Lecture, may he rest in peace. If you have something you'd like to submit to this project, please email me at jackee.alston@gmail.com. All contributions are anonymous unless otherwise directed. I have three submissions I'll be posting in the next couple weeks, but I'd love to see more. They're inspiring and heart-warming. Everyone has something to say, everyone a message.


So that's it. I'm going to try and be better, but no guarantees.


What have you all been up to? Any links to wonderful posts you've written while I've been gone?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you could write the book about Life lessons just with your own experiences! Busy, busy, busy! I envy your motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me tired just reading about everything that you do :) I hope we weren't too much stress during the baby blessing weekend. I'm glad we could come visit. Your house is great! And you do have the cutest kids in the world :)

    ReplyDelete