Friday, November 20, 2009

Last Lecture #4


ANOTHER SUBMISSION. THANKS TO THOSE WHO RESPONDED TO MY BEGGING!

The Last Lecture Project is a reoccurring feature on this blog where people (anyone!) submit answers to question on things they've learned in their lives. It is my hope to first, collect a history of people and their thoughts on life and second, to inspire not only myself but others with these stories from everyday people. Just like the late Randy Pausch in his Last Lecture, may he rest in peace. If you have something you'd like to submit to this project, please email me at jackee.alston(at)gmail(dot)com. All contributions are anonymous unless otherwise directed.

1. What is the one accomplishment or event you are most proud of in your life?

That I can have a mental illness and live a somewhat normal life. It is more of a miracle in my mind rather than an accomplishment.

2. What was the most amazing thing you have seen happen in your lifetime?

Love. When a group of people can truly love one another without judgement. When a school has camaraderie. When a friend loves you even when you mess up. When a group of people can love one another and had true concern for each other. I love seeing these things happen.


3. What is a piece of advice you wish someone would have given you early on in your life?

I got the advice: "worrying is like a rocking horse, it'll get you nowhere." Now If I could just listen and do.


4. What was the most valuable lesson you learned from your parents or guardians?

The most valuable lesson I've learned is even adults make mistakes. None of us are perfect and we all need the Lord's help in our lives.


5. Who were your childhood heroes?

I really liked fairies, unicorns and mermaids. I would always try to swim like a mermaid. I dressed up like a fairy princess for Halloween and wished I really did have magic powers!


6. What has made you happiest in your life?

Being married to a wonderful husband. He is my "bestest" friend! He has supported and loved me all our married life. I love him with all my heart!


7. If there’s one thing you could say to your great-great-great grandchildren, what would it be?

Life is hard. It always will be. But it's a lot easier with the Lord's guidance, so stay close to the Lord all your life. In Him you will find peace, comfort and love.


8. What is something you want people to remember about you?

I would like this on my gravestone: She touched the hearts of many.
I don't want to take any credit in this, but with the hope I had the Spirit with me and could be an instrument in "touching the hearts of many", with the Spirit's help.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this one! So touching... I will have to remember the advice about worrying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this series of posts...it makes me turn a little inward and think.

    okay,

    1. my marraige - 19 years and still happy. I didn't have an example of that growing up so it is a real accomplishment for me

    3. (I like your answer here) but mine would be "use sweet boldness". It reminds me to be kind and yet still reach for what I want.

    8. That I was a good friend. I try to be genuinely happy for and supportive of my friends.

    and, it's a deal - I'll quit lurking if you will ;)

    ReplyDelete