Monday, November 23, 2009

Wielding Words

I love words. I love unique words, words I wouldn't use in every day conversation. I love words that make me stop and think, ones I have to look up to find the meaning of, and those that stand off the page.
But when it comes down to it, these are the words I leave out of my writing because it takes away from the story for all the reasons listed above.
So that's my thought I'm sending out from Revisionland, the place I've been visiting all day today. Words are great, they just need to fit the voice/tone of the work, rather than show off your vocabulary.
My favorite word?
Oddly enough it's not some grand thing. It's a little word that needs no definition because just by the sound of it you know what it means:
WONKY.
I've always loved wonky.
And my six-year old's favorite word? Wisenheimer.
(Guess what we call her when she gets snarky?)
Now you tell me, what's your favorite word?

6 comments:

  1. My fav word... Shnikey. I think Chris Farley says it in a movie... "Holy Shnikey!" Unsure how to spell it, though!

    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany-- My husband uses that word all the time. I love it too.

    Thanks for finding my blog. You and your sister's blog is amazing. Guess I'll have stop being such a lurk and comment occasionally, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenny likes to use all sorts of words that I have no idea what they mean...Jackson takes after his dad, except that normally he doesn't know the meaning of the word he's using either...you know, "know it all" teenagers! (Which makes for some pretty funny conversations)
    As for me, pathetic as it may sound, I usually have to stick to the words I hear in the cartoons...like knuckleheadmcspazatron...or make up my own words! At least I know my kids will understand me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. knuckleheadmcspazatron?! Seriously?

    You have too many boys, Cass. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Wonky is a good one :) I don't know that I have a favorite word. There are too many good ones. I think mine are mostly associated with what I think of when I hear the words. Like optomistic or happy. Shnikies is a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could say my fav word was something intelligent like rostrum or proboscis or archipelago. Or even elegant like gossamer. But no, it's wonky. Glad it's something to laugh about, Steph! :)

    ReplyDelete