Monday, December 28, 2009

30 ComMINUTEments

Making and keeping goals is very important to me. And when this time of year rolls around, I become a bit introspective. Did I meet my goals? Did I try? What is new for me this year?
Sometimes my goals are unrealistic. (Like "win the lottery without buying a ticket". Kidding! Sort of.) Sometimes life throws me a monkey wrench and I have to change my goals/priorities (um... can we say new baby?!).
This year I think I know exactly what my life needs. They are not big changes, just little moments everyday that will help me move slowly to where I want to be. This year I'm committing myself to spending 30 minutes a day on things that matter to me--namely, 30 minutes on writing, 30 minutes on editing/revising, 30 minutes on spiritual growth/reflection, and 30 minutes on physical exercise. This only accounts for 2 hours of my day, something totally doable during the kids' naps. If I have time, of course I'll do more of whichever area I want, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I can't get more done. Like I used to do. (Again, I'm still working on that balance thing.)
So you tell me, what are you committing to for 2010? How did you do this year?

11 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I think my goal will be to get my book finished and polished and write the second book in the series by the end of the year. Oh, and lose some weight. Lol. I've been making and breaking that resolution for about 10 years now. ;) And yes, that was a Chuck countdown on my site. :D It's the only show I watch anymore, too. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely post! Okay, I'm committing to writing M-F and NOT writing on the the weekends. :)

    Wishing you all the best in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B.J.- Those essentially are my goals too! Just in little baby steps, I guess. Yay for Chuck! My awesome sister gave me the first season on DVD for Christmas. It's been fun for my husband and I to watch those before Jan. 10th.

    Suzette-Thanks! Those are great goals. I take the weekends off too unless Saturday is slow enough to get some writing or exercising done... yeah right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Win the lottery without buying a ticket!" LOVE that-lol. I want to do the same thing! I have a new year contest happening now, come on over to my blog and enter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen--Your contest looks awesome. Thanks!

    Tif--You mean you've previously committed to your noncomittal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good goals! Jon and I were going to do our "new year" and goals evaluation on Monday for FHE but we both have terrible colds so that didn't really work out as planned :) Our main goal together is to be more awesome. There are a lot of things that come to mind for me when it comes to being more awesome, but I haven't quite narrowed it down yet to things I really want to realistically do. I'll get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tif: Muhmmmm...

    Steph: Sorry you guys are sick! And you're right, awesome is a bit broad and nebulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goal for 2010 is to find balance!!! I am not sure how it will work but my ideas for it are pretty much the same that you outlined - 30 minutes on the important things and the rest will fall in to place ( I HOPE!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristi: Honey, you have FOUR KIDS, there is NO such thing as balance. LOL!

    (But should you find it, I think that qualifies you as SuperSUPERwoman.)

    ReplyDelete