Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It's 2010, did you know?


It's that time of year when I start thinking about conferences. I peruse the Shaw Guides and day dream how to logistically incorporate it into a family vacation. Then I get overwhelmed and give up. But this year my babies are all bigger and it just might be my year, with or without them! (Though I may bring my husband since he travels for work so much anyway.)



When I was a biologist and my oldest a baby, I always felt like I was ripping my right arm right off my body every time I left to go to a conference. I've not yet learned how to enjoy myself away from them. But I'm ready to try again at least once. (Start small and all that.) So I need your advice:

Which ONE do I choose? Are any of you planning your conference schedules this year? Where are you going? Which would be the best cost versus benefit?


7 comments:

  1. I have not gone to many writing conferences, mostly because of limited time.

    But I think I am going to try to go to the SCBWI conference this summer in LA. I couldn't go last summer and really wanted to....

    ReplyDelete
  2. go to LA! Its the best and biggest of SCBWI (you write for children right?) Ill be there so if you go - you'll have at LEAST one person you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, ladies, you have me convinced. My only reservation is that school already starts by then. Which makes for a messy babysitting issue. Have you been to BEA? What do you think about that one and the Writer's Digest Pitch Slam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to the Pikes Peak Writers Conference in Colorado Springs and the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers conference a couple of times. I highly recommend either one. Maybe Pikes Peak a little more because you get to talk to a lot more editors and agents. It's so awesome to get a feel for who they really are. I would love, love, love to go to the SCBWI conference, and plan to one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BJ:

    My home state! Pikes Peak always sounds awesome. I'm looking into maybe going to one by Creede because a) an agent that asked for revisions for is going to be there this year and b) I can drop the kids off at my Mom and Dad's house in Durango.

    Oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops! I said Creede, I meant Crested Butte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to, but I haven't given it that much thought. I guess I really should though.

    ReplyDelete