Thursday, January 14, 2010

You Might Be a Writer Mama if...


10. Your infants would rather play with paper than rattles.


9. Your kids draw comfort at night from the sight of you behind the illumination of a laptop screen. (Or worse, they think your laptop IS their mom.)
8. You forget kids at the bus stop because you're too busy plotting your next WIP.

7. Your children don't even suspect you are cheating on their dad when they hear the words "critique partner".
6. You fight over notebooks with your grade schooler.
5. You name your children after characters in your favorite pieces of literature.
4. Your kids never ask you to tell them a story because they can only stand to hear you wax eloquent for so long.
3. You keep snacks in a low cupboard so they can fend for themselves rather than make you get up from your desk.
2. You type as well one-handed as two. (Well, almost, anyway.)
And the number one reason you can tell you are a Writer Mama:
1. You call your children by your character's names.
Have any of your own? Post them in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. Lol, this is good. I especially love the critique partner one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is keeping snacks in low cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of being late at the bus stop and arguing over notebooks (and pens) with my little darlings! My two-year-old always wants whatever I'm writing with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 9 is me!

    I'm going to admit that after I read, Accidental Tourist I wanted to have a boy and girl, and name them Muriel and Macon.

    I'll add to the list:
    one of your children wants to be a writer when they grow up to, "be just like you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap! Seriously, HOLY CRAP! Jackee, I think you are my long lost identical twin!!! Not only did we post the same thing on the same day, but your list matches my life... right down to the low cupboard full of snacks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackee--I love the post! My family gets neglected when it comes to dinner often. I've started cooking in bulk, so they can get a "home-cooked" meal right from the freezer.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope you'll drop back by. :

    ReplyDelete
  7. Low access snacks = me! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BJ: I've had other people look at me funny when they hear me say that. If you're not a writer, it doesn't make sense, I guess. Ha, ha.

    Holly: A MUST for a writer mama, right?

    Myrna: Sooo glad it's not only me! And thanks for stopping by. :)

    Theresa: Ha! That is a good number to be... unfortunately... :)

    Suzette: I'd say great minds think alike, but I wouldn't want to sink you to my level. Ha, ha! And YOUR list was better.

    Sharon: I'm going to have to use that expression more often: home-cooked right out of the freezer. I love it! Thanks for stopping by in return.

    Macie: It's reassuring for me too that I'm not alone. And thanks for leaving a comment and visiting my humble little cyber home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Call your kids your character names!? I haven't done that yet. Phew.

    But my daughter always says, "When you're done typing, can you...?"

    And I'm like, "Sigh. What do you need? Because I'm never done typing."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elana: "Never done typing." Yep, that's about the size of it.

    Okay, I admit I haven't called my kids my character's names. But I get their names together all mixed up. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kids say at bedtime: "Mom, not one of YOUR books this time. Please."

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelley: Ha! That's a great one. Lately it's been my six-year old who tells the 2-year old a made up story. Usually it involves trains. For the 2yo's sake.

    ReplyDelete