Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This is the part where I wish for my own hoverboard.



For you kids of the late eighties, do you remember when Zemekis came out and said that hoverboards were real? And that parents were keeping Mattel from making them because they were dangerous?

Well, I wanted one. I wanted one bad. Forget Segways and all that, I've never thought twice about those. But I wanted a hoverboard, you betcha.

I wanted to sail along and look superbad in my peg-legged jeans, my feathered hair flying. I wanted to be the envy of Sunnyside Elementary. I wanted to get where I was going in a hurry and bring my friends along for the ride as well. And then of course reality set in and of course I knew they weren't real. Even if Robert Zemekis said they were.

This was the reality of hoverboards behind the scenes:



It's been the same with agents. I was naive enough in my first book to think it was my God-given DUTY to bust publishing wide open. It didn't matter that I only knew how to edit technical stuff and had only ever written one book. I had PLANS! I had many books in mind!
Then my second book struck my brain and the words flowed. My critique partners helped my deflated confidence after my first-book-syndrome/blunder (Thank you, Tina and Rebekah!) and I submitted the shiny new novel to agents. Now it's been a year and every close call has fizzled out. How many fulls have been passed on? Eight.
Now I know it's for the best and I want someone who is goo-goo-eyed over it so that they can stay with the book and see it through, but it still doesn't mean that my last rejection (YESTERDAY!) didn't hurt. I really liked that agent and that book.

Dang. Dang. Dang. Dang it.

Now what to do?

The only thing there is to do: Keeping moving forward. There are still stories to tell.

And maybe, just maybe I'll get my ride on that hoverboard someday. Eventually.

19 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! Sometimes it's hard to remember that when you're right in the middle of it. Good luck!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of a rejection. That really stinks. But hoverboards are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Bummer! Was this the newly revised MAOCP? Well, glad you are in good spirits about it. I'm sad for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there! It's difficult, it's frustrating, it's an emotional roller coaster, but you only have to win once for the joy to flood in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you!

    Been there, done that, still doing it. After I've gone through an edit, I say, "This is it." I send it, and it turns out not to be it. Our characters are part of us, and they have stories begging to be told. It's our job to figure out how best to do it, so someone loves our manuscripts as much as we do.

    I recently read an agent post stating that some manuscripts should be shelved, and writers should keep writing. While I believe there's some merit to that idea, I think there's nothing wrong with working on the craft of writing so eventually we can get those manuscripts right.

    If you've had that many requests for a full, there's something there. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man...that stinks! Hang in there, some LUCKY agent will snatch it up one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly right...move forward and try again! Our first book was a little too broken to fix, so we started over. If you can fix it (or at least recycle part of it) go for it, if not pull up one of your other ideas--I'm sure you have a whole file of them like we do!

    I love your positive attitude. That's half the battle, I think.

    Sorry about the rejection--but now you a step closer to finding THE ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's great that you've had that many requests for a full. That alone is an accomplishment. I agree - don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boooo! I am so sorry about the rejection! You are so awesome to have such a great attitude! I am sure you will be published... you are too great not to be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rejections do hurt, but don't give up on it. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to wait to start that new story. Starting something new is my favorite way to deal with rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for everyone's kind words. I'm feeling much better about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yikes, I'm so with you. Rejections hurt hurt hurt no matter how much I rationalize and say I'm used to them. Especially from fulls, when hopes are highest. If you hang in there, I will too. (Are you by any chance standing on the San Francisco Peaks in that picture?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to write five books before I got an agent. So keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. MG: Those ARE the San Frans! Do you know them well? I live just below them.

    Bethany: Thanks for the perspective. A few of those fulls have asked for other things I've written so maybe I need to take your example and have more than a couple ready!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there girl. I so remember hover boards. They were very cool. Still are actually!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will! And I wanted a hoverboard so bad I actually wrote one into my book. No joke. I love the hover technology.

    And you just haven't found "your" agent yet. The one that gets you and your book. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rejections sucks! I know the feeling and I feel for you. :(

    ReplyDelete