Sunday, March 28, 2010

Impact

Some people come into our lives without great circumstance. They are the types who are content to stand in the shadows rather than the spotlights. They would just as soon choose a corner table and visit with close friends than have the adoration of acquaintances spooned on them. If they are called to speak, they shy away. When they are asked to take credit for their good works they acknowledge the accolade with a nod and then quietly continue on with their work. Often (dare I say always?) these are the types who impact our lives the deepest.

My mother is this type.

She wears many hats, but here are just a few:

She is a teacher—a teacher who for fifteen years has chosen to teach at low income, bilingual schools so that she can make the most difference. She develops programs for the gifted children and ESL programs for Spanish-speaking children and parents. She comes up with Discovery clubs for the kids who always want to know the why and the more then tutors for free those that are plain falling behind. She loves what she does and she is good at what she does, though she does it one child at a time.

She is a mother. I am the oldest of five children and there have been few days in my life where I have not talked to her. Checking in to say hello and ending with, “I love you,” is a routine that developed since I moved away from home fifteen years ago. It’s the same with my brothers and sisters.

She is a wife and a friend. She and my dad have been inseparable since they were fifteen years old. She has many other friends too, though she is shy at making them at first.

She is a reader. For me reading was encouraged at a very young age. Because of her example, I learned to read young and never stopped reading. If my mother takes the time to sit still, there is a book in her hand.

She is a poet. I entertained the possibility of one day writing myself when I saw that my mother liked to craft words. She thought of writing kid’s books too, but what I read was her poetry. Perhaps that poetry has never left her high school journals or her yearly Christmas cards, but I learned to love the idea of being a writer from her hand. She was the doorway to the creative world I now embrace.

This is impact.

So many lives have been made richer but particularly mine because of this quiet woman. She makes everything better when she is around. And she’ll smack me for just putting this on my simple blog since she thinks she requires no praise. But she does. She needs to know how much I love her, admire her, and how many people have been affected by her. Because this week we found out that her ovarian cancer has relapsed. And all that’s left to fight it are clinical trials far away from home. So please, whatever your religion, pray for her. She might not need the extra prayers, but I need to know they are being offered in her behalf.

And not to take away from this post, but I wanted to say hello to all the new followers I came back to this week. I haven’t been over to your places yet (for the reason mentioned above) but I will. I’ll also be planning a Welcome 100 Follower’s Party too, very soon.

38 comments:

  1. *hugs* This is a beautiful tribute to your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for her.

    What a sweet, wonderful woman.

    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are not words to express how I feel,... but you know. You expressed them all. I love her, I love you. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! I keep deleting because my words aren't coming out right, but I'll hope and pray for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Your mum sounds like a brilliant woman. Sending loads of positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a beautiful post. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm not religious but I'll be sending all my good thoughts and wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother. She sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this. You wrote a wonderful post about your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jackee, I'm sorry. A woman as talented as her, who has had such a big impact on your life must be a strong fighter. You and your mother are in my thoughts. I hope she's read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your entire family as well as your Mom are in my prayers!
    I have only met your Mom a few times, but she is truly a beautiful, gracious woman! We can see a lot of the evidence of how wonderful she is by the wonderful daughter that she raised!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ***daughters... (ok children but really I only know you well.... Forgive me all of Jackees siblings - I know you are all wonderful too!!! You are all a tribute to your amazing Mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really lovely. I'm sorry for her dx - she is blessed to have such a supportive and kind daughter. That makes all the difference at these difficult times in life. Prayers being sent your way.

    and, sorry to hear you were sick over spring break. ick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post!
    Ovarian cancer is a tough one. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom's are awesome. If I can be half the mom that my mom is, I'll consider myself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a wonderful tribute. I'll keep you guys in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely praying for your family and your mom. What a beautiful, tender tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My prayers are with you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am honored to pray for your sweet mother! What a lovely post. She's very lucky to have a daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... I will pray for her. I'm so sorry your family is going through that. What an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She sounds like a wonderful woman, I'll be praying for her and for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful mother--and daughter for writing these words. I am so sorry for the difficult struggle ahead. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, your MOM rocks! That made me tear up a little. I need to go give my mom a call now. :)

    Thanks for stopping by Elana's blog and reading my interview today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't know if our conversation last week helped at all, but just know I'm here if you want to talk. I've grown to love the saying, "It is always darkest before the dawn." Be strong. (But not too strong that you don't need your friends & family.) Your mom will need that. You'll all be in our prayers! Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great tribute. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I read this with tears in my eyes.I will definitely keep your mother in my thoughts and prayers. This was a wonderful tribute and I am sure she knows how much you care and love her. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prayers and hugs to you and your wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jackee, I just wanted you to know that I am leaving you an award on my blog tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman and this was very nice of you to write. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - your mom sounds wonderful. I'll send her my thoughts and hopes and best wishes of all kind.

    On a side note, I've got an award for you over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful tribute. Beautifully written. I will pray and hold you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely post about a lovely lady.

    Sending my prayers,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm sorry about your mother. I hope she can make it through this.

    If you ever need to talk, just let me know (jujubeantea@aol.com). My mom died of cancer two and a half years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so moved by your loving tribute to your mother. I will pray for her. If it's any consolation to know, a friend and neighbor had a relapse of her ovarian cancer as well and fought it off twice. Take care of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh, jackee.

    my heart just broke in half.

    you can be certain that my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. it's too easy for me to offer you words of encouragement, as i can only imagine what you're experiencing, but i can't help but hope that this too shall pass. i'm wishing you the best of everything. big hugs.

    <3333

    Tahereh

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your mother sounds like such a great person and definitely a hero. Many prayers for her--and you--in this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  37. jackee,
    your mother sounds awesome--but mostly she sounds like she has an wonderful supportive loving family and that is what counts going through something like this. She is close to my age and so this hits home even more as my daughter is probably your age or one of your siblings. i'm so sorry for you to have to go through this at ths time in your life. i will most certainly be praying for her. Please keep me posted on her progress.

    ReplyDelete