Response to Monday’s post on blogging was so wonderful that I felt I need to show-off YOUR great advice.
Here’s the summary:
• Reciprocate! If someone follows you, it’s good business and friendly fun to follow their blogs in return.
• People can’t follow you back if Google doesn’t have your blog added as a link. You can add it in your Google “My Account”. Otherwise they can find you if you comment.
• It’s nice to add an email address to your Google Account too, so that when you leave a comment on someone’s blog, they can respond back with a personal note to you. (But only if you like your email inbox, eh, Holly? Ha, ha.)
• Google Reader, Blogger Dashboard, or self-made blog rolls are all great ways to keep track of when blogging friends have new posts.
• Read five new blogs a day from bloggers who don’t normally comment on your blog.
• If someone new checks out your blog, be quick about going and checking out their blog.
• Word verification can get annoying if it’s not embedded, and instead comes up in a different window after the commenter pushes “Publish”. Otherwise, word verification is a necessary evil for those of us who might have kids visiting our blogs.
• Word verification can be turned on for older posts so that they don’t get spammed. (I’ve no clue how to do this, but go ask Southpaw, she does it for her blog.)
• Give your comment section a feeling of a conversational party, a zone that welcomes discussions. I’ve no advice for this, but Lisa, Laura, and Tricia mention it and show how to do this by example on their own blogs.
• There’s only so much time for blogging, so just do what you can do!
• Write things on your blog you enjoy so it doesn't become a chore.
• Readers know when you’re being insincere, so be yourself and you’ll find your own voice and make friends in the process!
• Don't worry if people come and go, we all only have so much time.
Thanks to Wendy, Sharon, Nisa, Aubrie, Southpaw (Holly), Myrna, Tricia, Sarah Jayne, Julie, Karen G., Kelly, SB, Talli, Jayne, Shannon, Ruth, Ann, notesfromnadir, Carolyn V., Susan, Storyqueen (Shelley), Jemi, Steena, Stina, ModernDayDrifter, Michele, Lisa&Laura, Theresa, Crystal, Anne, Roxy, Danyelle, Samuel, and Dawn for weighing in!
One last question on blogging and I’ll shut up about it, I promise: What do you think of Stat Counter? Do you use it? Do you like it?
I don’t normally blog on Thursdays, but tomorrow is EARTH DAY—glorious, blessed day to celebrate our planet, so please stop by. (Or better yet, post something of your own about our Earth and leave me the link!)