Thursday, April 22, 2010

When I look in the mirror, all I see is GREEN.

You have probably noticed by now that I’m a big Earth lover. Call me a Tree Hugger, an Earth Muffin, a Granola, or whatever. I don’t care. (I personally like Hippybilly or Reformed Red-neck, since I’m a country girl with a fondness for environmental issues.)


My love will never change. In so many ways I believe this Earth is our stewardship, God-given and inherent for us to protect as thinking, acting, human beings. We have a very real obligation to take care of it. Especially those of us fortunate enough to live in countries where we have an abundance of food, clothing, shelter and the luxury of resources to worry about such issues.

Here are some things you might consider doing on this day of days:

1. Enroll in a good cause, whether you give monetarily or of your time is up to you. My personal favorites are The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund, or your state Wildlife Management Agencies. I volunteered and/or worked for two of these organizations for several years and can tell you that volunteers are vital to how well they run.


2. Take your family somewhere they can learn about the Earth. The new Disney Oceans is playing right now. Tour your local recycling center. Many cities have educational centers like Flagstaff’s Willow Bend Environmental Education Center, or go to any kind of science center (our town is home to the famous Lowell Observatory). Teach your children the importance of our planet health.


3. Pick up trash.


4. Order a recycling can. (It’s a big pet peeve of mine when I drive by a trash can full of cardboard. Unnecessary waste.)


5. Plant a tree or two. Or ten.


6. Contribute to the Carbon Neutral Blogging Program, because our blogging creates carbon dioxide. And this program is free! (Push translate in the top right corner to read it in English.)

All you have to do is this:

Write a short blog post about the “My blog is carbon neutral” program and put the button linked on my sidebar to your own blog. Send the link to your blog to CO2-neutral@kaufda.de and the Arbor Day Foundation will plant a tree for you in the recently burned Plumas National Forest (one of my in-laws favorite haunts).

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Because yeah, it’s a big soap box of mine and I have a feeling many of you share my opinion.


So today, plant a tree. Give back. Or even things out at least. Your children will thank you when that tree grows up and what’s more, they’ll remember your example every time they look at it. We only have one planet and we are the guardians over it. So please do what you can to keep it healthy!


Okay, that's enough linkage for now...
 
Happy EARTH DAY!

19 comments:

  1. We're going to fix our broken solar panels on our condo roof. It will save us so much money in the long run!

    Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is a great way to promote the carbon neutral link and get a tree planted. Currently, I'm trying to think of my own post to promote while still fitting into my style.

    I use washable cloth napkins, compost, and walk as much as I can. My car and condo are small. Living in a city makes it easier, especially a pretty environmentally conscious one.

    You'd probably love The Disappearances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of doing a promotion featuring my book called Going Green the Farm Girl way, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. But yeah, back in those days living green was a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Earth Day to you and congrats on joining us carbon neutral blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My city furnishes recycle bins and requires us to separate our trash. I usually only put out my trash only every 2 or 3 weeks because we hardly generate any garbage. Our cans are rarely full when we put them out.

    Lee
    A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I look in the mirror I usually aee green, too. My cat even coughs up a furball at the sight of me first thing in the morning, too. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Hippybilly!! ;)

    I'm trying to figure out how to put that carbon neutral thing on my blog, I'm doing it for sure. And I can't stand to see trash strewn about so I always pick it up, even though I'm grumbling about the derelict person who left it there!

    Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Earth day to you too. Planting in the garden today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to celebrate and promote Earth Day! Thanks for the informative post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Jackee. There are so many little things we can do that just become habit after a while, like using cloth bags, eating local & unprocessed foods, composting, recycling ... and if we all do them, they add up. Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Earth Day to you, and thanks for the great suggestions! One of my biggest pet peeves is when I take my dog for a walk through the park near our house and see all this trash lying around. I've started carrying an extra bag along for the trash. I mean really, what's so hard about using the trash can?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post :o) hehe I haven't heard of Earth Muffin. I like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post - thanks! I'm one day late, so happy day-after Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful tips, Jackee! Hope you had a great Earth day. I am an Earth lover myself and trying to be as green as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids literally went out and hugged trees on earth day :) I keep hearing about this carbon neutral link. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hippybilly is my favorite, too!!

    Great post.

    Especially about the carbon neutral link...

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this blog!

    Am a couple of days late but then earth day is every day. :)

    Am getting good at recycling everything so I figure it all helps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use my feet or public transportation whenever I can. And I have a whole bunch of plants (many of which are trees), but that is pleasure, not green activitism.

    ~ Rayna

    ReplyDelete