Monday, May 17, 2010

CHALLENGE: The Great May Scramble

I happened to look at a calendar today. Did YOU know that it's the 17th of May?! That means in two weeks, I'll have all the kids home. While a good thing, it also means that my productivity will go way down. So I am committing myself to a new goal:

Want to join me?

For the next two weeks, I will write 1,000 words and visit at least 10 blogs every day.

Sound too much for some schedules? Okay, fine. I’ll make two options and even throw in prizes:


Option 1: From today to the end of the month, write 1k/day and visit 10 (different) blogs/day. You are welcome to claim up to three passes should you start late or not meet your goals three times. And of course, you can always take as many make-up days as you need (e. g. write 2k in one day rather than 1k).



Option 2: Write 200 words/day and respond or visit every commenter to your blog.
ETA: This word count does not have to be a new piece. It can be revision, journaling, or simply blogging. Writing anything counts on this.

Sound good?
 On Tuesday, June 1st we'll meet back and post if we met our goals. Those that took Challenge #1 will be entered into a drawing for a lucky reader’s basket of my design, prizes around here SOME PEOPLE (*cough, Shelley, cough*) have considered lucky. Those that took Challenge #2 will be entered in to win one of my favorite motivational books for writers: Walking on Alligators by Susan Shaughnessy.
 I know there are other challenges, but if you're interested in joining me, I'll be so grateful. It will help motivate me too, you know. (Besides, I’m going to enter my own name into the drawing this time. It’s going to be THAT good. Ha!)
 So prizes! Productivity! Who’s in?


If not, just leave a comment that you stopped by. Then I can visit yours and count it in my tally today. *grins*
 Happy Monday!

P. S. If you missed seeing The Many Adventures of Courtesy and Patience's book trailer, please check it out. For my sake. Thanks!

28 comments:

  1. I have to pass on this challenge because I'm in the plotting phase, but I do have a goal to visit each and every one of the 50 or so blogs I follow and comment on something on each one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so wish I could participate, but I'm still trying to finish up my agent's revision notes. But I have been trying to comment on more blogs--especially those who comment on mine.

    Good luck on your goal. What a great way to get everyone motivated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I'll have to pass, too - I just finished my wip and now I'm working on synopses for the remaining books in the series. It doesn't sound like too many people are in the writing phase right now. I'll be working hard to comment on the blogs of everyone who comments on mine, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackee, this is brilliant of you to make a challenge for yourself online. I really think it works. Two weeks ago, I would've done this. In fact, I wrote 6K last week, but now I have very little of the end to finish and I'm digging into the revisions. Still, I'll cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great challenge, but I'm feeling kind of wimpy right now. Those are great goals, though. Good luck meeting them. Even if I'm not challenging myself, I'll still be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about the problems with summer and kids home! Wow, good luck with your challenge. I'm going to unofficially accept this challenge. I already visit at least 10 blogs a day, more like 20, but I need to work on the write every day thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't play. (Pout.) Next Friday, I'm leaving for a week so I'm going to write when I can, pack, work, and run a house in between.

    My normal goal is to write/edit everyday (productivity varies), comment on each commenter's blogs, some regular blogs I follow, and on five new ones everyday.

    Good luck on your goals. It's such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great challenge! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in. Option 2. I visit all my commenters usually. But I will make a promise to do so. And 200 words sounds reasonable :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to pass on the challenge because I just finished a 3rd draft of my novel! So I'm taking a break. But yeah for you!

    It's funny your perspective on the summer. I can't wait for the summer because I won't be working- yeah! Maybe I'll get more done. Let's hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is actually the worst time of year for me - provincial testing preparation and then the test, report cards, coaching track and softball. And that's just work.

    So I'll pass :)

    But... I did visit over 50 blogs tonight - does that count???

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in, Jackee! I'll put something on my blog about the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, you talked me into it. I'll go with Option #2 (as long as I can count blogging!) Great idea, Jackee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's interesting how our schedules change throughout the year, depending. As long as we somehow accommodate them while still writing, all's good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jackee - thanks for visiting our blog! As I'm in the midst of revisions, I'm not working on my new wip right now, but I plan to get back to it soon. Good luck w/ your goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it wrong that I plan to do all those things, but I don't think I can possibly keep track of them? I'm scrambling to get about 5 things out the door before the kids come home to roost for the summer ... so if I get there it will be by the skin of my teeth! But I like your challenge, and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! I stopped by,.. but I am writing 3 different blog posts right now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I know! The what do I do now that school is out panic!

    But I am so looking forward to my summer with my kids, even if I do get less productive.

    Thanks for the motivation to get lots done before that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am looking forward to this challenge. I think it's exactly what I need to get back to writing or revising some more! I know I'm late so I will make up my 2K words over this next week!

    I already do the blogging part, well over 10 since I comment back on all those who comment on my blog!

    I look forward to the prizes and goals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have about 5 weeks until summer vacation, and I'm getting in as much as I can!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm cheering for you as well!! I've already compeleted my 2K for the day (to make up for a day I missed!) My 10 blogs are completed as well! I look forward to continuing this!

    I have to say you've really got me motivated again, it took awhile and silly that this is all it took!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOps...I calculated visiting at least three new blogs a day as part of the challenge...Oh well, I know I hit more than 10 a day, plus my own spin of three new blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great motivation! Thanks for the invite. I can use all the peer-pressure available!
    Winged Writer

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great challenge! I wish I could take part, but am up to here (pointing to top of head) as in the middle of setting up a new company. Will check back on other challenges though. I need incentives like this:) P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good luck on your goal. What a great way to get everyone motivated! :)
    free classified india

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great challenge, but I'm feeling kind of wimpy right now.
    PPC Advertising India

    ReplyDelete