Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Friday! Happy Memorial Day! Happy Freedom! Happy Long Weekend! Happy Start of Summer! Happy (insert your own here)!

A big thank you to all who commented on my WIP yesterday, especially those of you who gave me such good ideas on how to make secondary characters come to life. They are all helping a ton right now. Seriously. I also happened upon Martina’s AMAZING four-part tips of characterization. Go check out Adventures in Children’s Publishing if you have time. Honestly, it is way better than anything I have to say.

What? You’re still here? Okay. Fine.



Then I have some sweet awards to pass on.



You are my Sunshine from my separated-at-birth-twin, Myrna. Thank you, Myrna-pronounced-MURRnah (because I actually asked)!


This is to honor a few commentors who make blogging days around here bright and shiny, so I’m going to pass this one on to:


KarenG (Check out her contest!)
Margo (Her blog is gorgeous!)
Anna (She's got the Storybug blog, but even more at Annastan.com!)

Aubrie (Check out the drawing for her book!)

Danyelle (She's often got a Belle of the Ball Blog Tour giveaway!)



Happiness 101 from Margo, who likes High Altitudes as much as I do. Thanks, Margo!
It may say 101, but I’ll spare you and only give you ten things that make me happy:
1. Getting up for the sunrise, with laptop in hand and stillness in the hour.
2. Watermelon. Fishing. Camping. Preferably together.
3. NBC’s Chuck
4. Long hikes after sunset.
5. Summer Reading Fun!
6. Summer in general, especially when the monsoons hit.
7. Asian Orange Chicken.
8. A clean house. Particularly when I didn’t have to clean it.
9. My son’s belly laugh.
10. My oldest daughter reading a book she’s really into.
I tag:
Elle Strauss
Myrna Foster
Sharon Mayhew
Theresa Milstein


Do what you will with the awards, I’ll not be offended.

So…

what’s everyone doing with the long weekend?

25 comments:

  1. Hopefully going to the beach. Ya hoo! Have a wonderful weekend and congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial Day!! Happy Friday!! Happy Long weekend!!
    :-)

    Congratulations with your fabulously summery awards - they're lovely! And what great things that make you happy - I am quite partial to no 8! I don't know about the monsoons bit - all that rain! Good grief. :-)

    Anyway, have a great weekend!!

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all of your awards, and thanks for passing one on to me!

    I think your #2 is cheating, but I'll let it slide since they all go together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That link to the million articles on characterizations is a great one. I studied them last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm as excited about this weekend as you are! Loved all the happy !!!!'s. Memorial Day is one of my favorites because we get our gardens all in tip top shape, and finally it turns WARM in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks for passing along a little sunshine! My friend from college is coming to visit this weekend and we have a lot of outdoor activities planned, so the more sunshine the better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiding! Half of NC is going to the beach, but we like to stay at home. And I'll have to try the Asian Oragne Chicken. Bet my husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy summer to you too! I would have better plans for the weekend, but I'm still taking it easy on my ankle. I'm finishing up a Lord of the Rings marathon today, though. That'll be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the mention! My progress is limping along, but at LEAST IT IS PROGRESS. What am I doing this weekend? WRITING. Then, campfire with friends in the mountains. If the weather is good (it's been a terrible spring TERRIBLE)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your awards!

    I'm going to have fun playing in the sprinklers with my kids and eating popscicles outside.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will be self medicating and trying to erradicate this cold but hey, I went this long without one!

    have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Memorial Day weekend! We're planting flags at a cemetery for veterans with the cub scouts. Always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the award! :) It brought sunshine to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our long weekend was last weekend - and it was fabulously relaxing! I hope yours is as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your awards and to all the recipients! I'm all for your favorite thing #1 - that's the best part of my day.

    Not much for Memorial Day plans, though hopefully making some progress on my current edits, and I'm going to try writing all my blog posts in advance over the weekend, instead of waiting until the night before like I usually do. We'll see how it goes. :)

    Happy long weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And I'm so honored to be your long lost twin. Thanks for the award and the great link.

    I want Christine Danek's weekend. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know - and it's already Sunday! Hopeful get over my cold.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on all your lovely awards! Hope you're having a great weekend - I'm huddled under a blanket keeping out of the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on all your awards. I'm reading and writing this weekend. I hope you're enjoying your time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on all the awards!!! Sorry I haven't had time to visit your wonderful blog! It seems visiting 10 new blogs a day will really take a toll on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. If you'd like to check my progress I've put it on my sidebar today!!! I'll leave it up and update it tomorrow as well! I took the liberty of using the template from you to keep track of my blogs and writing all week! Hope you don't mind!

    What an awesome contest it has been especially with the holiday, gave me more time to fit it in, you really made me work for it!

    Hope you're having a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your awards!!! And so sad you can't join me on my challenge! But whenever you can, feel free to take it!!! It really keeps you motivated :) happy memor/weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on you awards! It's been a rainy weekend where I live, PERFECT for long days of writing. Don't be jealous but, my husband has been taking care of the kids all day and *delivering* meals to me! I am so blessed!

    ReplyDelete