Thursday, May 20, 2010

I like lists... a little too much.

Well, Hello! Thanks to all those participating and/or encouraging others with the Great May Scramble. It’s not too late to join up! I stole a smart idea from Sharon and started posting my daily progress in the sidebar. Hopefully it doesn’t become a source of either guilt or gloating to anyone. It’s all about challenging yourself, right? So no worries…
By my own definition of productive, I had a strong first day… it remains to be seen if I’ll have a strong finish. (Ha, ha.)
How goes the May Challenge for those of you participating?

I neglected to mention there are two other challenges I’ve committed to. They’re all year long reading challenges and by posting them, I’m hoping to commit better to doing them (since I haven’t so far):
 I. READING YA NOVELS IN VERSE. A couple weeks ago I accepted Caroline’s Verse Novel Challenge. Here are the ones I chose:
 1. Criss Cross By Lynne Rae Perkins
2. Love That Dog by Sharon Creech
3. Out of the Dust or Aleutian Sparrow By Karen Hesse
4. Voyage of the Arctic Tern By Hugh Montgomery or Song of the Sparrow By Lisa Ann Sandell
5. Far From You By Lisa Schroeder or Home of the Brave By Katherine Applegate
Yeah, I fudged and gave myself wiggle room on the five I selected. The library has all of them on hand, so it’s just a matter of which I find first. Thanks for the challenge, Caroline! I’ve been interested to see what verse novels are all about for a long time.
 II. AN UPDATED/REVISED Debut Author Challenge LIST. In January I took Story Siren's 2010 challenge. And I need to recommit to it. Here's my list:
 1. Julie Kagawa By The Iron King
2. The Unidentified By Rae Mariz
3. Leaving Gee's Bend By Irene Lathan
4. Princess for Hire By Lindsey Leavitt (DONE!)
5. Scones and Sensibility By Lindsay Eland
6. Paranormalcy By Kiersten White
7. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins HEX HALL
8. A Most Improper Magick (The Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson) By Stephanie Burgis
9. The Mockingbirds By Daisy Whitney
10. The Rise Of Renegade X By Chelsea Campbell
11. Kid Vs. Squid By Greg Van Eekhout
12. Hunger By Jackie Morse Kessler
13. Seventh Grade Superzero By Olugbemisola Rhuday Perkovich
14. Tortilla Sun By Jennifer Cervantes
15. Prophecy Of Days By Christy Raedeke
I’ve only read one to date so I’ve got to get going on these! The one I have read is awesome and you can find Lindsey’s interview here. (FYI: If you like Janette Rallison’s writing, I think you would love Lindsey’s as well.)

 And since this post was pretty much about me and the obsessive lists I make and remake, I’ll add something cool from my kids:


It new. It’s great. And my kids love it (especially the train fanatic three year old)! He may not get all the humor, but what he gets he thinks is hilarious. Check it out.

Have a great weekend and see you around the blog block!

20 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to check out that picture book!

    I thought about signing up for those challenges, but decided I'd rather choose the books I read based on my own criteria. Some of the books on your lists are on mine anyway. And your challenge looks great, but I'm in the middle of a bunch of critique stuff. Congratulations on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO like lists! I think it's a great idea to put your progress on the sidebar. Maybe all the participants should do the same.

    The picture book looks hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you love lists! Especially since I'm terrible at keeping them!!

    What a cute picture book!

    Wow you are a busy girl with all those challenges! I must say you should read Hex Hall and The Iron King pronto, they were both amazing! Hex Hall has been my favorite of 2010! I love, love, loved it!!!

    The May Challenge is going fantastic! You gave me the inspiration I needed to get back into writing. In fact I've started a whole new story and it's going on without a hitch! I'm already up to 4K and I started yesterday!!! Also meeting 10 new blogs a day has been fun! Keeps it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to lose my lists, so I don't make them much any more :)

    You're doing well with your challenges so far - have fun with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing okay on my challenge, as long as I can count blogging! I've been working on a few synopses for future books, but that's a lot more thinking than word count.

    Good luck on all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jazzed to read Shark Vs Train. I remember reading on Chris' blog when he only referred to it as S v T. Now it's a reality!!

    I love your lists...maybe I should have you write some for me....

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect. I'll go make your link live on my Verse Novel Participants post.

    Lots of birds on your list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you took my progress chart to a whole new level! Very nice list...Well done. I think I may do my progress/goals chart permanently on my blog. Just for me...any...I need to get busy typing what I wrote yesterday so I can update my word count. :) Thanks for the motivation, Jackee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looove Shark vs. Train. It's so smart and funny. The concept itself is hilarious, but the writing and illustrations really do it justice. I love when picture books are so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adored Out of the Dust. It was one of the YA revelation books to me when I read it ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a cute book. Good luck with all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great lists going on here. I generally keep a running list of books that I hear about that sound like something I'd like to read. I'm always working my way through that evolving list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, more novels in verse for me to add to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great list you have there! I have a lot of similar ones on mine!

    I'm a list-maker too. Great minds think alike, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have awesome lists! And the kids book looks so fun! =)

    Have a great weekend Jackee! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lists as well.

    You look like you're making great progress!!

    Have a great and productive weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the sidebar idea! Brilliant. Is it helping?

    Have a wonderful weekend! :)
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank for this great post, i like what you

    read.

    ReplyDelete