Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday Throw Up

I didn’t get my super secret post up yet. Sorry. It’s taking longer than I had hoped and my computer doesn’t like the software I need, so I have to work on it on my husband’s computer when we’re both home and alone. Which is rarely. I’ll post it as soon as I can. In the mean time, I thought I’d throw up a list (as in throw it onto the screen, not as in throw UP all over the screen) of what’s been going on with me.

1. Potty-training the Great Reluctant One… Need I say more?

2. Teething. Which means minimal sleeping going on and a baby who does not want to wean because where is her comfort without that? Not cool, I say. (What about MY comfort?)

3. Arthritis in my hands. Hard to type. (But even with that, I still managed to bust out 2,000 words on my WIP yesterday. The rest of my work load suffered because of it, however.)

4. Long walks. (Running is a much faster form of exercise, I should be doing that. Yeah, except it means I would actually have to RUN. Without anything chasing me.)

5. I was promised four (FOUR!) hours of uninterrupted writing time for Mother’s Day. It’s all I’ve been looking forward to this week.

6. I’ve already told you that three agents have Courtesy and Patience right now. I found another agent that seemed so wonderful I had to send out just. one. more. query.

And so I did.

Problem is that she only accepts exclusives and I didn’t know it. So when she requested the manuscript, I embarrassingly had to tell her it's out to three other agents already and then I looked like I was out to collect as many requests/rejections as I could. (Not the case at all. I am not a sadist, I promise.)

7. And I’m beginning to worry this is all my children see when they look at me. Really, I need to play more, ignore less…
P.S. I'm not a whiner. Okay, I am. But only in fine print.

14 comments:

  1. Ha, I think my kids think I look something like that too!

    (hope the hands get better!)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your kids see your face. I work on a desktop that faces a wall, so it's my back they see all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to arthritis, teething, and potty training.

    I like long walks and uninterrupted writing time, and I LOVE that you have three agents reading your novel!

    Thanks for sharing what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Wendy said, all my kids ever see of me is my back. I doubt they're complaining, though. They probably get away with all kinds of dirty looks that I don't see with my back to them as I'm yelling at them. So glad I'm out of that whole potty training/teething phase. Now it's just the whole breaking curfew/"Mom, I need money" phase. Good luck with the agents that have your MS. Hope it pans out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're being pulled in a lot of different directions. Don't be so hard on yourself.

    I think it's uncool when agents request exclusives. Writers are told to do our homework, but it's easy to miss something. The whole query process is a lot of work. It's not like you got the gender wrong or sent a query in a genre they don't cover.

    If you're devoting evenings to nursing, that's not the only view one of the kids is getting.

    Yay for you to get four hours of uninterrupted time. I'm impressed that you got 2k words done with all of the demands on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the manuscript requests! I hope your hands get better. I think I might have arthritis in my right hand, but I thought I was too young for that. Since I'm pretty absolutely positive you're younger than I am, maybe that is what I have.

    Good luck with the teething and potty training. I don't miss those days at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potty training and teething- two of those special joys of parenthood :)

    I love your bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the joys.... But at least you get to walk with friends right? And I will happily watch the little ones (or at LEAST the man child) so you can get writing time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's great that so many agents are looking at your work! Hope your hand feels better, 2,000 words in one day is double what I do and my hand doesn't even hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stick my face on yours, and that could be me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2K and long walks and manuscript requests--sounds pretty good to me. You deserve a pat on the back. But I'm awfully sorry to hear about your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I hope agent still wanted to see the manuscript!!

    I suppose it will be her loss....but if she liked the query enough to ask for it, she will hopefully still want to see it!!

    Good luck!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you're more productive than I am and I don't have kids or pets! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like long walks and uninterrupted writing time, and I LOVE that you have three agents reading your novel!
    free classified india

    ReplyDelete