Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Starcrossed: A Review and Book Drawing

Some of you will remember back in May I shouted out my mad-passion for Elizabeth Bunce’s A Curse Dark as Gold. Since then her lovely publisher has sent me a copy of Bunce's latest book, Starcrossed.

Would you believe that I loved this one even more? Believe it!

This book had everything I love in a novel:
~ A fun and likeable main character
~ Exciting and unique plot
~ Fully realized world
~ Perfect pacing that kept me wanting to read well into the night
~ A twist at the end

It had Clue-like plot elements with a who-done-it mystery set in a fantastical world. But beyond that, the story was oh so much more. It was fast-paced and complex, while Digger was one of those rare characters you are sure you know in reality because they become so real to you. The only sad thing about this book? I have to wait for the sequel. Wah!

The skinny from Goodreads.com: Digger thrives as a spy and sneak-thief among the feuding religious factions of Gerse, dodging the Greenmen who have banned all magic. But when a routine job goes horribly wrong and her partner and lover Tegen is killed, she has to get out of the city, fast, and hides herself in a merry group of nobles to do so. Accepted as a lady's maid to shy young Merista Nemair, Digger finds new peace and friendship at the Nemair stronghold--as well as plenty of jewels for the taking. But after the devious Lord Daul catches her in the act of thievery, he blackmails her into becoming his personal spy in the castle, and Digger soon realizes that her noble hosts aren't as apolitical as she thought... that indeed, she may be at the heart of a magical rebellion.

Available October 1st, there are two ways you can get your hands on this book:
1. You can preorder it now. It comes out this week so you won’t have to wait long!*
2. Leave me a comment! I’ll draw one winner on Friday, the day of the release, and send you my copy of Starcrossed. (Yes, I’ll be sad to part with it, but since it was free, I wouldn’t feel right keeping it all to myself.) YOU HAVE UNTIL FRIDAY, 8 pm EST TO ENTER.

If you want a comment topic, I love children’s book recommendations (including Middle Grade and Young Adult). Please leave me one or a few.

As with all the rare reviews I give here, this book is one I truly love and wish into the hearts of all its readers. Even getting a free copy would not change my honesty about a book.**

* When you read Starcrossed, please drop me an email and let me know what you think of it.
** While Scholastic sent me a free copy, this review is my opinion and has not been swayed by their generosity nor have they even required me to review it. All was by my own volition.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Bunce's writing in Curse Dark as Gold, and would really love to read this. :)

    The Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner is definitely a great MG, straddling YA read. It has a lot of the elements you've described.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a copy of Bunce's first novel, A Curse Dark as Gold, soon. Can't wait to read this one too!

    Should check out THE LIGHT OF ASTERIA. I loved that one. :)

    cc932005 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked A Curse Dark as Gold, and this one sounds even better!

    Have you read The Ranger's Apprentice series? It's great, but I second Sandy's recommendation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it sounds wonderful. With a name like starcrossed, it must have some romantic element about it.

    "A Curse Dark as Gold" that's an amazing title! might have to get that one, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds awesome and I love the title too. Thanks for showing me another book I need to add to by TBR pile.

    It's nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! I will surely check this book out! :) I do check books recommended by friends, I've now got a long list! :) Thanks for dropping by my blog...it is nice to meet a new blogger-friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only English YA books they have here in France (besides the ones in French) are The Carrie Diaries and some Meg Cabot title. I like real books - no kindle for me!

    Starcrossed sounds like my cup of tea. As for reco's: Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands of Teeth, Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why, and Shiver/Linger by Maggie Stievater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cover! Very cool that the publisher sent you the book...

    I'm reading NIGHTSHADE CITY and loving it! It is written beautifully...It has a great story line with fantastic details. I didn't expect to fall in love with a world full of rats, but I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bunce's novels are on my to-read list!

    My favorite middle-grade author is Sharon Creech. Walk Two Moons and Chasing Redbird are my favorites, but I love all her novels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good novel. If I don't get it, I'll have to get it. (Did that make any sense?)=D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I loved Curse Dark as Gold! This one looks amazing--thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good. If I don't win it here, I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My oldest is always looking for a new series to read...thanks for the recommendation! I don't know how you do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This book looks great! I will have to put in on my list to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit that I've not read anything by this author. The book does sound very interesting. Thanks for sharing your review of the book.

    Good luck to everyone who is entered in the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read either, but will have to if you really loved it that much! Thanks for the review.

    P.S. If you send the book to me, I will send it back to you when I am done so you won't have to part with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any Bunce but you've got me intrigued! Enter me into your draw.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never did read her other one, so now I have something I can go get! I think you know all my favorites, since you recommend books to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh, I loved Curse Dark as Gold. Wonderful book. Thanks for the tip about this one.

    BTW, I gave you an award on my blog, so when you have time, check it out. :)

    The middle grades I've read in recent history that I still think about occasionally are A Single Shard and Crispin Cross of Lead. You might have read them already, though. They're not exactly hot off the press. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Curse as well and am definitely looking forward to this one.

    An oldie but goodie: The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope, a beautiful retelling of the Tam Lin legend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to participate in your drawing for that book. You've made it sound pretty interesting :)

    By the way, thanks for finding me. I like your blog, especially the "unplug" idea for thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haven't heard of this writer, but will look it up.
    Thanks for visiting my chutney post - lovely to "meet" you too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been meaning to read Curse Dark as Gold ever since Cheryl Klein talked about it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the review.

    Am I too late? Please enter me in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds amazing. Please enter me.

    tab[at]zaeya[dot]com


    Thank you for visiting my blog and for your heartfelt comment. Your support really encourages and inspires me. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooo--nice cover! Thanks for sharing this. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete