Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Tell the truth Tuesday
1. Not a single thing is left to do on my Christmas preparation list. We’re ready!
2. I don’t have to cook a Christmas eve dinner, breakfast, or day meal. Don’t hate. I just have awesome friends.
3. I am horrible at making great characters. There, I admit it. I really am—it’s something I really struggle with. So I’m reading Creating Characters by Dwight Swain and he had some advice about giving your characters an affectation of empathy, making you feel them and their motivations: “The writer who’s unable to simulate [perceived empathy] faces an almost impossible task for certainly his characters ever and always will lack the breath of life. And there’s the heart of the matter. Consciously or unconsciously, by nature or by learning, the writer must have or acquire the ability to put himself in another, perhaps unlikely, person’s place. Sometimes empathy will come in a flash, through intuition or osmosis.” He’s so right. I must learn to not judge my character’s actions with my own morals! I must develop my characters better by using these helps I used to take the time to do!
4. The last day to participate in Project Give a Book, Give the World is Thursday. Please participate HERE. I’m up to committing to 107 school humanitarian aid kits. That makes me so happy and sooooooo scared at the same time. It’s a lot to do! I’m glad I have friends who are always there to help out.
5. I’ve been horrible about blogging lately. But I’m slowly making my way around and I can’t wait to see what you all have been up to.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. I can’t tell you how excited I am for Christmas. Oh, wait. I guess I kind of did….