Friday, March 4, 2011

Interview and book win with Lindsay Eland

Today I have a treat for you all: an interview with Lindsay Eland, author of the middle grade novel, Scones and Sensibility. Take it away, Lindsay!

Q1. First off, my burning question to everyone published is at what point in the long road to publication did you actually think you could succeed, that you could make it into print?
A1. At the time, I had been writing for about four years, focusing mostly on writing picture book manuscripts and dabbling for the first time in a middle grade novel (and obviously I never looked back from that first dabble, though thankfully that manuscript is tucked safely in a drawer!). For my birthday that year my husband gave me a framed piece of paper that he had typed up for me. On it were statistics. Statistics like: "Dr. Seuss's first children's book, "And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street," was rejected by 27 publishers. The 28th publisher, Vanguard Press, sold 6 million copies of the book." It was having this next to me at my desk and reading and rereading and rerereading all the statistics that led me to believe that, "I know for a fact that I WILL get published someday. Why? Because I refuse to give up." And as my editor says, "Publishing is about persistence."

Q2. Was there ever a point when it was the opposite, where you thought you couldn’t succeed in getting published? Dare to share the story?
A2. Umm, that pretty much happened daily until I actually saw the book with my own eyes and held it in my hand--and that was a month before the official release date! I still wrestle with that self-doubt every single day, as I think most authors do, wondering if we'll ever have another book come out into the world.

Q3. You have an amazing blog. I love to lurk around there and glean from your wisdom. Do you feel that blogging has helped you in your path to becoming an author? If so, in what ways?
A3. Thank you so much for "lurking" on my blog! :) Blogging is a ton of fun and though I didn't actually start writing a blog until my agent had already sold Scones and Sensibility, it has been extremely helpful as an author...if for no other reason than to get my thoughts out into the world and express myself creatively. Blogging also curbs my baking habit...you can only have so many dozens of cookies and loaves of pumpkin bread at one time.

Q4. And now for the hardest question yet: many of my readers are moms or are working full-time outside of writing. Can you give us some advice on how you manage to keep up this writing gig and mother kids to boot?
A4. I'm a pretty disciplined person, which pretty much means that I need to keep myself on a schedule or I'll wind up eating bon bons and watching poorly written Soap Opera's all day long :). So, in response to that horrifying image, I keep to a pretty basic writing schedule every day that my kids just accept as being a part of life. They don't question it, they just go off together and play and hopefully not kill themselves in the process. I think that moms need to change how they look at their writing. They are not bad moms for getting away for an hour a day by themselves! Actually, they are: 1. Doing something they love, which rejuvenates the spirit and enables you to LOVE your family better 2. They are pursuing their dreams And 3. They are teaching their kids to do the very same thing--to do something they love and pursue their own dreams! What could be better than that?!

Q5. As a kid, I went through a phase much like Polly’s where I wanted to be and live Anne Shirley’s life. I also had a match-making phase! Do have any thoughts or plans on making a sequel where we can hope to see Polly morph into another phase? If not, anything new in the works you can share?
A5. I have brainstormed a sequel to Scones and Sensibility, though nothing is written yet except a basic outline and a horribly written synopsis. But don't worry, I have not been bon bon eating nor Soap Opera watching! Instead, this past year I have written and completed two other contemporary middle grade novels, and I am currently working on an upper middle grade fairy-tale-esque (YAY for made-up-words!) type of book that has been a LOT of fun to write! (Fun being relative since I have not started revising it yet.)

Q6. Final question (a writerly one): long-winded first drafter or a skeleton sketcher?
A6. Definitely skeleton sketcher...I ALWAYS have to go back and add to my stories, which I am thankful for because it is MUCH harder for me to get rid of things...just look at my closet :)
Thank you so much for having me on your blog!

And thank you, Lindsay! I ADORED your answers. :o) To learn more about Lindsay and her writing, check out her beautiful website and blog.

Now for a chance to win Scones and Sensibility… Just leave a comment and be a follower. A chance to win will be open until Thursday, March 10th @ 8 pm MST. The winner will be announced Friday, March 11th, when we’ll have another author interview and giveaway.

Have a lovely weekend!

26 comments:

  1. I loved this interview, especially her answer about writing with children, and I love the cover of her book. I'll have to read this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fabulous interview!! I love hearing that she was doubtful every day (a real human!) and her advice to Mom's. I needed that. This sounds like book I will LOVE. **fingers crossed**
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fabulous interview and SCONES AND SENSIBILITY sounds right up my alley! I'm amazed at how prolific Lindsay is, and can't wait to read the fairy-tale-esque book! Thanks to Lindsay and Jackee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview, Jackee and Lindsay! I love what Lindsay said about the benefits of writing for our families - I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic interview, ladies! Beautiful book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this interview! Really great advice. I need to have that same Dr. Seuss quote up on my desk! Thanks, I really needed this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great interview! I'm like Lindsay, I have to stay on a schedule to keep up with the writing. =) But it makes it all good. Thanks Lindsay and Jackee! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! Enjoyed learning about the author. Book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever title and what a whimsical cover.

    How great your husband believes in you enough to keep you motivated. Inspirational interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Publishing is about persistence"

    This pretty much sums up this whole writerly thing we do! Yay!! Thank you lovely Jackee for a fab interview with the amazing Lindsay Eland!!

    Scones and Sensibility is a brilliant funny title - good luck with this book!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the interview, Lindsay and Jackee. I really like your thoughts about moms taking the time to follow their passion, no matter what it might be. It's a wonderful example to set for their children, to know their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic interview - so interesting! :)

    I think I still might want to be Anne Shirley - that tells me I'm going to love this story :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview. I love the cover of your book. It looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, Yay!! Ever since I read your review of this book on Goodreads I have been wanting to get a hold of it. Maybe I will win it! ;)
    I loved her idea of what being a good Mom entails!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great interview ladies! I adore the cover of Scones and Sensibility. Thanks for sharing about your daily schedule too. It made me realize how undisciplined I have been over the last few months....I promise to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview ladies! I adore the cover of Scones and Sensibility. Thanks for sharing about your daily schedule too. It made me realize how undisciplined I have been over the last few months....I promise to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lindsay, nice to meet you! I agree that discipline is one of the most important things about mainting a writing schedule.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like such a great book, Emma and I really need to read it! I just loved how she said writing helped her to not bake quite so much. Maybe I should take up writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a follower, and I would LOVE to win a copy of this book. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delightful interview! I've heard of this book (love the cover!) but now I want to read it more. Thanks for the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting interview post! Thank you! I'm very curious to read Scones and Sensibility! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, me me me! This sounds like just the kind of book I would love to read. (I may have to purchase it myself if I don't win.)

    Great interview, too! Thanks, Jackee. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love her advice about not feeling guilty about making time to write, your kids just have to go off and find something to play with for aw while. I've been doing this more on Saturdays - staying home and writing instead of runing them around to events. They need a day at home, and so do I!

    Intrigued by this book and wondering how much it takes off on Sense and Sensibilty, my favorite Austen book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi miss jackee and miss lindsay! i love knowing more stuff bout authors. mostly they could give you hope so you wont give up. this was a cool interview. im thinking that books maybe sorta girly (ack!) for me. whatcha think? but for sure scones are cool.
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the opportunity to win the book! I enjoyed this interview very much as I am a university student taking many writing classes and am a new mom too! I appreciate Lindsay's words about being a writing mom; that's it's good for the whole family, not selfish on the mom's part. Mom's can help instill dreams in their children by (appropriately) following dreams of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've been finding some GREAT books and authors lately. Thanks for another fantastic interview.

    ReplyDelete