Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Vignettes: Resurrectionist


My accusers say I would have dug up my own mother. Little do they know I kept flour sacks on hand to cover up the faces. I did not want or need to know the identity of my subjects. In all likelihood I would not have recognized my mother besides. No, I did it not for the grim satisfaction of disturbing the dead. It was all for the living. My interest was only in the corpse itself and what I could find within it. All my efforts were in the name of science. In the name of a cure. ~ Dr. Thomas Sewell, Journal Entry, 1819

I’m teaching myself how to pique interest in the shortest possible writing. So Friday’s new feature is going to be reoccurring posts of flash fiction. Please feel free to come up with your own for each picture I post. (And let me know if the story has sparked even the tiniest interest in you.) Have a wonderful weekend, friends!

14 comments:

  1. I love your flash fiction piece!

    So much was done that people thought was strange, even though it was in the name of science--I wonder how much might have already been discovered if experiments had been allowed to continue. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creepy. Sounds like an unreliable narrator. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackee!!! This is fabulous!!! Wow!!! More please!!!!! I'm loving this new feature of your blog!!! Yay!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is amazing! If this excerpt was in a first page contest, I bet agents would be gagging for more! (...can I steal it for my next project? Kidding, of course :))

    Seriously--VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! Creepy and disturbing - awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it flash fiction? I thought it was a quote. Is this something you're working on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That definitely piqued my interest! Bravo, Jackee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea.

    I'll definitely be stopping in to read the flashy pieces. Maybe I'll even play sometimes....

    (And just so you know, I would read more about this guy...)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude! I wasn't sure if it was a real journal entry or something you wrote! You learn so much about this guy in just a few sentences. Erie, cool -- I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first comment didn't take. (Anyone else having trouble with Blogger since their great debacle last week?) Here we go. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and opting to follow. I followed you right back here, and I'm glad I did. You have a lot to offer! Love your flash piece. The voice is authentic sounding, and you threaded in enough creepy to make it irresistible. I'd like to learn more about what the good doc is up to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow miss jackee! thats soooo cool and for sure i could wanna know lots more.
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, nice. :)

    I'd like to write flash fiction. I think that it'll help me tighten up scenes for longer pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a brilliant idea for a blog feature - and a wonderfully captivating piece too. Creepy - in the good way.

    ReplyDelete