Thursday, August 23, 2012

Return to Joyful Blogging

I began blogging back in January of 2008. It was back when my little son had miraculously pulled through health problems at birth and everything about a “normal” life as a mom felt rosy. I was happy to be alive and healthy. And I was happy my children were alive and healthy. Nothing could be sweeter than a mundane schedule that did not involve a hospital.

I was also getting back to writing after weeks and weeks of bed rest. It felt good. It felt like a brave new world where words were perfect without the scrutiny of trying to get published. Just the simple action of writing a novel and a blog with doe-eyed naïveté was exciting. I felt like I was true to myself and to my friends that read my blog.

Now life has become really busy and my posts fewer and fewer. I stress about my online absences but they can’t be helped. I stress that each post has to be something dramatic—a masterpiece worthy of my reader’s time. Somehow the pressure has made me feel not much like me anymore. The self-imposed strain has sucked dry the joy I used to have in blogging. Months have gone by and this will be my first post since (gasp!) February. I miss it. I miss you, my friends. And fortunately Wednesday nights have opened up so I can fill that missing. My posts will only be once a week—probably very short—but I am determined not to pressure myself anymore about the quality or quantity of the content here. Now that the joy is back, I set some ground rules for myself so I don’t lose it again.

  1. The number of followers does not matter. I’m sorry if it’s a pain that I deleted my follower box, but I can’t look at it anymore. I don’t want the number to matter to me. I still, however, want to visit your websites and follow you. Please leave me a comment and I’ll be sure to drop by your cyber house. Also, there is no pressure to subscribe, but I put it there in case anyone really feels the need.
  2. I have many interests and I’m hoping to post about all of them here, not just writing. (I can only blog about the writing part of my life so long before I run out of unique things to say….)
  3. I have to meet my writing quota first. For writers, writing a book should always take precedence over writing a blog post. At least it has to for me because I am a slow writer.
  4. Be me. All posts will be honest and authentic. What you see is what you get. For good or ill….

Basically it just feels sooooooo good to be back. I’m happy to be able to reach out again. Because that is what true blogging feels like to me—opening up my heart and hugging the universe. I love my blogging friends. I look forward to making new friends. Blogging has brought me many wonderful friends already and I am ecstatic to reconnect.

To celebrate a return to blogging, I’m giving away books. SIGNED, new books!
            Robin Brande’s Fat Cat
            Adam Rex’s Cold Cereal
            Amy Fellner Dominy‘s OyMG

All you have to do is leave me a note telling me what you have been up to the last 7 months I’ve been absent and which book you would prefer.

(And in case you wondered what I have been doing the last few months: I took a Master Gardener certification class, revised the novel that has been turning my hair grey(er), did a bit of volunteer work, and landscaped my yard. So all good, happy stuff! Yay!)

Thanks for coming back!!!

31 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Jackee! I've missed you.

    You shouldn't stress. Your plans to blog once a week, keep them short, and write about more than writing is exactly what agents tell us to do.

    Can't wait to see where your blog goes.

    And post more on FB. Your posts make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, schucks! Thanks, T! I kind of stare at Facebook these days and forget that I had something to day once I'm there. LOL! I'll be better about that. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm excited to see you posting again :) My favorite part was when you said that blogging feels like "opening up my heart and hugging the universe." And the rules you set up for yourself sound great! Keep the posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! I hope the delivery recovery is coming along well. <3

      Delete
  4. Yay! Welcome back :)

    I totally agree that blogging has to come after writing. I still have another week before school is back, but I'm definitely not going to lose sight of the writing. I've had a blast this summer. Finished one story which is now marinating and am 50k into a new one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear, Jemi! I have missed you! Congrats on the stories coming along... and best of luck with school starting. <3

      Delete
  5. Yay! We missed you.

    Jackee, I rarely write deep kinds of posts. (I'm not that deep...) Writing fun or meaningful short posts are what I like to read, so that's what I like to post, that and lots of pictures.

    You kind of already know what I did this summer in terms of writing, but here is the other stuff.

    Went to our cabin for a week.

    Rode in the car for HOURS while my daughter practiced driving.

    Nursed daughter through wisdom teeth surgery.

    Went to Alaska.

    Went to Minneapolis.

    And now...I'm editing that novel I wrote this summer. :)

    Enjoy your free hours this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know! I also know you have had a crazy but beautiful summer, sounds like. Thanks for your kind words, my friend! <3

      Delete
  6. So lovely to see you again! I've been launching a pretty little book into the world. Happily, she seems to have found her way.

    I've read both OyMG and Fat Cat and loved Smekday. I bet Cold Cereal is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline! Your launch has been awesome from what I have seen. I've been meaning to post my review of your book--I was so excited to find it at our library! :0) Our youth services librarians have great taste and ordered it before I even asked them to. :o) Have you down for Adam's book! <3

      Delete
  7. Well, you know what I have been up to... Not much! I am so thrilled you will be blogging again! I miss you! You are such a positive light in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. Thanks, K! And I know that is not true--you guys have completely redone your house all summer. Thanks again! <3

      Delete
  8. Lovely Jackee!! Welcome back!! And you sound so rejuvenated and raring to go!! It's amazing how incredibly involved blogging and social networking can be!!! You really have to step back, take a breather and treat it like it truly is - not just a fun creative output - but one of many that does not involve being online - it really is no big deal!!

    I hope you enjoy your time online! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Jenn! I always have loved your take on blogging. You are my hero! Thanks for your kind words. It is good to be back. <3

      Delete
  9. Hi, Jackee! Good to have you back. I am finding Facebook works better for me than the blog these days, but I don't want to give up blogging for good. I like the guidelines you set for yourself. That's very important. Over the last seven months, I've been up to releasing my first novel and doing all the marketing and stuff there, revising my second novel, putting out three novella e-books and working hard on my third novel! I don't really have a preference on the books. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Facebook is definitely faster. :o) And look at you!! You are like a machine!!!!! Three novellas and 3 novels. WTG!!!!!! Thanks for sharing & stopping by. <3

      Delete
  10. I love reading your blog posts, but I also think it's healthy to disconnect and just LIVE sometimes. I'm hoping to get back to blogging once or twice a week once the kids are in school. It's too hard when they're home; they see me on the computer and all want to use it for their own stuff.

    I've been meaning to read FAT CAT for years. I love funny books.

    As for this year, I finished another year of teaching, and I've been revising the novel I wrote last year. I also wrote a couple of picture book manuscripts (which I haven't submitted) and some poetry (which I have). Robyn is sitting next to me, tickling my feet. Aiee!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Loved the last bit about Robyn tickling. Made my husband want to know what was so funny. :o) Congrats on the writing! You are getting to be prolific, girl. Have you down for Fat Cat. I'm glad my kids are small enough they don't ask for my computer. That would be just one more set back! Have a great school year! (And come see me again.)

      Delete
  11. Welcome back! :) It's great to see you in the blogosphere again--and it sounds like you've got a solid blogging plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Golden! I'm a bit of a planner (and rule setter if you ask my kids. lol). Have a great night!

      Delete
  12. I deleted my followers number awhile back too! Writing comes first! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Laura! I'm glad I'm in good company for eliminating the follow button. Have a lovely night.

      Delete
  13. Hi, Jackee! So good to see you blogging again.

    Nothing exciting going on in my neck of the woods. Trying to do some eliminating/organizing of things, but that seems to be a never ending project for me.

    I'd be happy to have any of the books you mentioned. So sweet of you to do a giveaway.

    smdrazic(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eliminating/organizing is no small task! I've been at it off and on since December. It's changing my life! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words, Suzanne! <3

      Delete
  14. It's good to see you. I have suffered similiar blogging angst. I love your ground rules and think I shall adopt them! Thank you for saying it for me. I, too, would love any of the books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one, Yvonne! Feel free to adopt if they work for you. :o) Thanks for stopping by! It's great to see you too. <3

      Delete
  15. Jackee, everyone needs a break from blogging every now and then, especially when real life starts to get busier and busier. It's totally understandable.

    I myself am trying to catch up after being away for quite a while and it's nice to see all my old friends and see what they've been up to. Missed you!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jai! I have missed you too!!! I'm so happy to be back and thanks for understanding. I need to give myself the permission you seem to realize--everyone needs a break. :o) Good luck catching up!

      Delete