Thursday, September 20, 2012

Living the Creative Life



I think we as human beings crave creativity. We want to do things with our hands, our minds, and our bodies that demand absolute self-expression. The building of something out of nothing. The form we take to create that something, though, is up to the individual. Curiosity plays a huge role in living a creative life because it lights the spark of creativity. Habit is the fuel feeding the spark.

My family has many interests (so many that I’m turning the garage into an art/wood working studio just for them). For me, however, nothing captivates my sense of curiosity and sparks my desire to be creative like writing. If I’m writing everyday, then habit is keeping me aflame. If I yield to self-criticism, doubt, worry over what others think, and fear of failure, then creativity is snuffed out.

Perhaps I’m the only one that is affected by doubt and fear, but if not, here are a few things I’m trying to keep from losing my creative spark:

1.       ACCEPT. A first go at something is never going look perfect but it is going to be perfect because all it has to do is exist outside of your imagination to be what it is supposed to be. Art is handmade and missteps are proof it is a one of a kind (yes, even drafts count here).
2.       SCRAP BOOK. Now, I don’t like scrapbooking, but I do keep efiles of pictures and journals with quotes, notes, research, ticket stubs, and whatever else could potentially ignite ideas. No judging ever takes place in the journals because all it has to do is put my cluttered ideas somewhere other than in my brain where I might forget. They are something visually before me whenever I want them.
3.       DROP IT. Make sure your chosen form of creative expression is interesting to you. If it’s not, drop the project. (For example, I just said I don’t like scrap booking, but I did try it. All those cute little stamps I ended up being donated to my sister to make room for things I do find interesting.) Make space physically and mentally for outlets you truly find fascinating. Life is too short to do otherwise.
4.       USE YOUR FRIENDS/FAMILY. Some of you know my mom has terminal cancer and on bad days there are few things she feels up to doing. But she can type a poem! So we exchange poetry (nearly) every day. The goal is to not edit it but rather send it out to each other as is—first draft—warts and all. Knowing they are rough helps us lower our expectations as to how good the poetry will be. The other benefit? It has been a sweet and strengthening thing we could do together. The miles don’t seem as far between us when we are speaking to each other’s souls with poetry.
5.       FAIL SPECTACULARLY. When learning a new creative craft, there is usually a huge curve. In that curve are dips that look like failure. But we can grow from these “failures”! And if we acknowledge it as par for the course, we can be more lighthearted about it as it comes. (Also, the sting from rejections won’t hurt as bad when we know we are growing from them.)
6.       BUY SUPPLIES. Once you are sure what truly fascinates you, get the supplies. My kiddos love every new unit in their art class because they get to browse the supply store. Make sure, though, you don’t buy things just to buy things. And when you do need to buy supplies, do it right before you start the project. Buying things you don’t end up using will zap your creativity with anxiety because it will be a constant reminder of a project you didn’t follow through with. So buy needful things for creativity only. (I also buy books on the topics and on creativity itself*.)

Living a creative life is so rewarding when we are true to ourselves and what brings us fulfillment. Once we find those special things, building them into our lives habitually keeps them just as fresh as if they were a new-found interest.

Q4U: What kinds of things bring creative fulfillment into your life? Or What are some creative activities you would like to work into your life someday? (Cycling and getting back to the piano and violin top my list!)

*Some great books on creativity:
Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland
The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp


Also, we have WINNERS of the signed books!

        Adam Rex’s Cold Cereal goes to Kristi Thom
Robin Brande’s Fat Cat goes to Sharon Mayhew
        Amy Fellner Dominy‘s OyMG goes to Angie Lofthouse

Congrats, ladies!

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jackee! I think you and your mum exchanging poems is just lovely. Can't top that. That's just sublime!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I let fear and doubt stifle creativity far too often. I think it's so touching that you and your mom exchange poems. Those will be such a treasure! And, yay! I won! Thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote at the top! :)

    Creativity is soooooo important to keeping our brains alive, active and happy. I love creating in a few forms - although I stink at crafts! As a teen I did a lot of embroidery, I love to draw cartoons but don't spend much time on that anymore. One of my retirement plans is to take a painting course. I also love to play around with recipes :)

    I love the exchange between you and your mom - what a delight for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, Jackee. And I assure you, you're not at all the only one in the world to be plagued with doubts or fears. I liked the tip you gave about failure. In learning to deal with failure we become stronger and more capable of achieving our dreams.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tips, Jackee. Writing is my favorite form of creativity, but I also like to draw. And I LOVE coloring!! It's a great way to de-stress. I have fun coloring books, from Disney Princesses to Mr. Potato Head, and lots of Crayola crayons and markers. I think coloring brings me back to those carefree childhood days, and I feel so calm and relaxed. It's also a terrific way to work through any writing issues with plot or characters!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Jackee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post, Jackee! I like all your tips!

    It's beautiful that you and your mom share poetry, and so often. What a treasure for each of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you and your mom exchange poetry nearly every day - that is so cool! Honestly, I feel like writing takes all the creativity I've got as far as artistic expression, but I've started bike riding recently and really enjoy it (as long as the nice fall weather holds out!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness! I'm a winner! Wohoo!!!

    I thinks it's precious that you and your mom are sharing poetry.

    #6....hangs head in shame...I promise I'll use all those scrapbooking and stamping supplies one day.

    I've taken a couple days off writing and done some craft projects that I am going to submit to a magazine. It's been nice, but now I'm back to editing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, I don't like scrapbooking but I have a compilation of photos, magazine pages and news articles that I like. It's a lot of work to get a scrapbook done but it often crosses my mind to do it. Thanks for a very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a quote document, which inspires me. Fail spectacularly? Story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's lovely that you and your mom trade poetry nearly every day. I bet you'll never forget that. What type of cancer does she have? I'm sorry for the aweful struggle it must be for all of you.

    I love writing children's stories - even though it's not that popular right now in the publishing market - it really turns my crank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Winded Words" has been included in this weeks A Sunday Drive. I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in you direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-sunday-drive.html

    ReplyDelete