Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tagged: The Next Big Thing



Hello! Myrna Foster tagged me last month for the cool meme, The Next Big Thing, where we writers share a little bit about a book we've written. Here are my 10 answers:

photo credit: skepticism.org


What is your working title of your book? Jedda Hitler: Traitor to the Party
Where did the idea come from for the book? My subconscious in those lovely early morning hours between sleep and awake :o)
What genre does your book fall under? Young Adult
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? A teenage version of Angelina Jolie for Jedda (only because Jedda reminds me of Lara Croft)
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Raised, groomed, and kept apart, Jedda Hitler was her grandfather’s personal project to prove that even a small girl could be turned into a killing machine.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Agency… hopefully
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Over a year. It wasn’t a book that came out of my head easily. I struggled for the right voice.

May we see an intro? Sure:
Grandfather would never have allowed such incompetence in his army. But what grandfather thought is no longer my concern.
Saving myself is all that matters.
We are in an underground factory with only one entrance. My jail cell is a locker shower somewhere deep at its center. They hit me over the head with a rifle butt and brought me here unconscious. Then they used the pipes to tie me to the wall. I sit on the wet floor with my back against them now.
My jailer is a Brown Shirt, Nazi paramilitary. But he does not fit the part. Where once discipline was religion, there is nothing left but a fading uniform, paunchy eyes, and a sagging belly. He disgusts me.
At ease, he slouches against the tiled wall. As if this is a social call instead of an interrogation. He would not be so calm if he knew how loose his men tied my wrists.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I don’t say it often because it’s too pretentious, but to myself I think of it as Hunger Games with history. Also, I'm reading Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein right now and there are quite a few similarities.

Who or what inspired you to write this book? While I was in high school, my mom went to college. She was a history major and wrote her thesis on Stalin and Hitler. Since then, I have had a fascination with that era and how those countries survived such demonic dictators.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest? I didn’t know there were German resistance movements after WW II ended. As I started research on this book, I found several books on these small groups. These groups were so fascinating that they became a major element of the story. (They even had a steam locomotive for roving headquarters! Try looking up the Krista. Too cool....)

Include the link of who tagged you: Mydear friend Myrna Foster
Great writers you’ll want to visit and hear their answers:
Any one is welcome to join in, though. Here are the rules:


Rules of The Next Big Thing:

*Use this format for your post
*Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (work in progress)
*Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

What is your working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged. Be sure to line up your five people in advance.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely Jackee!!! Yay for being The Next Big Thing! Jedda sounds utterly scary but hopefully isn't irredeemable given her heritage! Yikes!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear more about the book you've been working on. So disturbing to see Hitler smiling next to a child. It must've taken you down some dark places when working on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved the sound of your book! Jedda seems like a fantastic MC! Can't wait for it to find a home. :)

    And thank you!! You're a sweetie for tagging me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This sounds intense... and man what a powerful way to describe it, the Hunger Games with history. I will look up the Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! What an interesting character. Good luck with it! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a creepy photo.

    The history behind your story is fascinating, and I adore Gabriel. *sigh* I really hope an agent picks it up soon.

    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I got to read this book - it's FANTASTIC! And all your struggles were worth it because Jedda's voice is perfect! Thanks for the tag, I'm looking forward to writing my own post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your book sounds great, Jackee! I hope you land an agent with it soon! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete