Wednesday, June 12, 2013

C'est la vie



I’ve been away from here far too long. Life gets busy this time of year. For everybody, I'm sure. I started several blog posts but never got around to finishing any of them. But, hey—I tried.

Thanks to all your kind thoughts about my mother’s passing. Since March, I think I’ve deliberately kept busy to help ease her passing. Here are a few things I’ve been up to:

  1. Planted warm weather plants in my hoop house. They are growing fast and well! My hope is I’ll be able to feed my family (and then some) for the whole year. (I’m trying to be as much of a locavore as possible.)
  2. I went to Paris for a week! Steve had a conference and I tagged along. It felt like a second honeymoon. I wouldn’t have picked Paris as a destination, but I absolutely fell in love with France and all things French. It was such an amazing, healing time for me.
  3. And back to gardening… I’m landscaping the front with my own designs and also extending the winter garden to double its size. I have piles all over the yard of my projects and none of them complete. C’est la vie.
  4. Book news: I’m editing two books at once. One feels like a very clean draft. One I’ve been sitting on for years now but I think it’s almost ready to go to the agent who asked for it. Fingers crossed!
  5. I’ve been trying new ways of cooking—now that I’ve become such a local foodie, I’m trying many new recipes to be able to eat with the seasons. The kids are hating it but Steve’s on board.
  6. I planned a week-long summer adventure camp for my nieces, nephews, and my own children. Eight kids under 10 staying in my tiny house. Ten if you count the neighbor kids, who were over most of the time. It was exhausting, but I hope they all had a good time. They sure are cute kiddos.
  7. Annnnd… back to gardening: I helped start a community garden. It’s finally picking up momentum. We have four raised beds full of lovely violets and veggies. Then several rows with pumpkins, squash, beans, and corn. I’ve helped classes from the elementary plant and water, but now with school out, it will mean more maintenance until the kids are back in classes.
  8. I’ve started offering women’s classes on Thursday evenings at the fire station’s community building. So far there isn’t a great turn out but I’m hoping soon I can build a village of support for the women in our community. Classes include a book group, a writing group, a back to basics class, and a night to just bring a project/craft of your choice to work on and socialize.


That’s what’s new with me. What’s new with you? I have been so out of the loop! Xo

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's passing, Jackee. It looks like you've been doing some really wonderful things the past couple months. Starting a women's group is such a good idea. I'd so be there if I could! I hope it gets more attendees soon.

    Wishing you peace and comfort this summer!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences on the passing of your mother. I am happy that you went to Paris and found other activities to bring joy to your life in this difficult time.

    Especially the gardening. And now I feel ashamed about the towering weeds I've allowed to grow in my flower beds because I can't separate myself from the laptop long enough to pull them out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jackee, you've been really busy.

    I've been doing some of the same things although not as much as you. I've been gardening a lot, and cooking a lot of new recipes with seasonal stuff, and editing several projects simultaneously, and traveling.

    Paris must have been so gorgeous, I'm glad you were able to get away for a couple of days. It must have helped with the healing process. My continued best wishes, dear friend.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've definitely been busy. Paris! Wow. that must've been amazing. Wish I could go there someday.
    BTW, I nominated you for an award on my blog. :D hugs!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete